Saturday, March 6, 2010

In my Granddaughter's Eyes



"In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
I am strong and wise and I know no fear
But the truth is plain to see
She was sent to rescue me
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes"

Looking at this photograph I am reminded of the lyrics of Martina McBride's song "In My Daughter's Eyes".

Jessica really was sent to rescue us and with one look from those eyes turned tragedy to joy. She is the daughter of our middle son Paul who is married to Shelley. Shelley was dating our eldest son Craig for six years when he was tragically killed in an accident on his way to fetch Paul from work. That was fifteen years ago - Paul was only seventeen at the time and his girlfriend was also killed in the accident. Our happy family struggled to make sense of all this and we thought that we would never experience joy again. Then two years after the accident Paul and Shelley started dating and have now been married for ten years - Jessica has a ten month old brother now - another precious gift in our lives. They named him Craig. I often feel that life is like a jigsaw puzzle, we don't have the complete picture and we are given the pieces one at a time - some are more difficult to handle than others and take longer to work out, but they all hold a unique lesson and contribute to making your life authentic and complete.

The rest of the song goes like this....

In my daughter's eyes everyone is equal
Darkness turns to light and the
world is at peace
This miracle God gave to me gives me
strength when I am weak
I find reason to believe
In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand
around my finger
Oh it puts a smile in my heart
Everything becomes a little clearer
I realize what life is all about

It's hangin' on when your heart
has had enough
It's giving more when you feel like giving up
I've seen the light
It's in my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes I can see the future
A reflection of who I am and what will be
Though she'll grow and someday leave
Maybe raise a family
When I'm gone I hope you see how happy
she made me
For I'll be there
In my daughter's eyes

1 comment:

  1. Jessica and Craig ... gifts sent from God, for both parents and grandparents alike! Beautiful words Sue! x

    ReplyDelete