Sunday, September 12, 2010

What's on your Bucket List?

Do you have a Bucket List ..? In other words do you have a list of stuff that you want to do kick the bucket? I have a whole lot of adventures in mind except there aren't enough years in this lifetime to complete what's on it ....nor do I have the Morgan Freeman's salary to pay for it. Here's what I would do if I had all the time and money required.

I have always wanted to travel - particularly to Peru to see Machu Picchu "Old Mountain", an Inca site 2,430 metres above sea level. Archaeologists believe that it's The Lost City of the Incas. I am not sure how I would manage to climb two thousand metres above sea level but I would like to stand on that ancient ground albeit clutching my walking frame! While in South America, I would love to return to Argentina - I only had two weeks there but I loved it and never got the opportunity to tango in a street cafe.

I have never been to Italy - I would love to spend time in Rome to see all the art that I have read about. I would take my own paint brushes and stand in a field of lavender in Tuscany with an easel and try to capture the moment. While there I would eat all the Italian food that I love and perhaps get my plump bottom pinched by an Italian stallion.

I spent a weekend in France with my sister a couple of years ago and our itinerary allowed us one hour in Le Louvre. We chose two works of art that we wanted to see the most and literally ran through the Louvre to see The Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo. All those fabulous Michaelanchelo's and Monet's were just a blur as I sped past them. I would love to spend a whole week in there studying those brilliant paintings and a whole month in Paris studying life.

Cirque Du Soleil is an artform that I have always admired and its coming to South Africa in 2011 - I will make sure that I am in Cape Town when its on. I saw Cirque du Shanghai a couple of years ago - a collaboration between China and Cirque Du Soleil and it was brilliant and it left me wanting to see the original even more. That evening was memorable in other ways. There was a international summit on in Shanghai that day and they had deployed 60,000 additional police to the city! All the roads where the heads of state would be travelling were blocked off and the underground was packed with commuters. When the train came in I just stared at it in disbelief as it was packed like a can of sardines, but when the doors opened I was pushed into it from behind by my son and spent the next 15 minutes eyeball to eyelid with a Chinese stranger. We enjoyed the show and during the interval bought ice creams - mine was fish flavoured! I am looking forward to enjoying the performance in Capetown with a chocolate covered Magnum!

I would love to swim with dolphins in the warm Indian Ocean, travel in a hot air balloon over the Masai Mara when the migration is in full swing. I would like to meet Professor Robert Winston, Sir Richard Branson, Shirley Bassey and Meryl Streep. I would like to smoke a joint - just one! I would like to go shopping in New York, join the parade at Disney World and fly over the Grand Canyon.

I can dream and I can make a start - every journey starts with the first step.
What's on your Bucket List?

3 comments:

  1. How spooky - Morgan Freeman & Jack Nicholson were on UK tv last weekend. On my list? I'd like to live in Paris for six months. I'd like to go back to India/Nepal. I'd like to learn to speak Russian. I can't decide if I'd like an Oscar or an exhibition at Tate Modern - ambition hasn't quite deserted me yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa - I think the Oscar for the best foreign film, set in Paris with Russian subtitles with the film premier in India/Nepal - sorted!You can hold a photographic exhibition at the Tate afterwards featuring your collection of aaward winning photographs taken on location.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an absolutely HUGE bucket list and have had some amazing experiences (sky diving, swimming with dolphins, traveling to Italy)But, I still want to bungee jump, dog sled, milk a cow & hundreds of other things You can see the entire list at http://mslistologist.com/?page_id=381
    Good Luck with your adventures!

    ReplyDelete