Sunday, February 20, 2011

When it comes to clutter – I have a permanent stutter!

Oh how I would love to have a row of organised rainbow hangers in my cupboard.  I pride myself on being pretty good in managing most things in life but when it comes to my wardrobe I am a complete failure. When it comes to clutter – I have a permanent stutter!


Can anyone tell me why I still have the jeans that I travelled to South Africa in 28 years ago? They won’t, and never will, fit even one of my legs and yet I seem incapable of throwing them away. I also have and the dress I wore on the eve of the millennium, a jacket that I attended the Robbie Williams concert in, a poncho – Yes I know - and several pairs of shoes that will never see the light of day. The clutter spills over into my bathroom cupboards too and I have assorted half bottles of almost everything – products that I have abandoned in my excitement of trying new ones. Most women have a makeup bag – I have a makeup drawer!

I start off with the best of intentions – black bag in hand I ruthlessly approach my cupboards with Susanna and Trinny’s rules for detoxing firmly in my mind. Anything that doesn’t fit – I have a few of those; hasn’t been worn in six months – I have plenty of these; is a relic from a past life stage - I had no problem clinging to my maternity clothes although thinking about it – they would have fit me perfectly now; and souvenir clothing (what will Iwear for gym?) goes in the bag. So far so good!

Three hours later I stand looking at the three piles of clothes. Things that are staying ,things that are going to charity/my domestic and things that I am going to move to another cupboard because I can’t bear to part with them – I will leave you to guess which is the largest pile!

In the past the third pile – the one that goes into another cupboard – creeps back over time and I am back to square one. Logic and experience tell me that having an overstuffed wardrobe makes it impossible to find things and when I do find what I want to wear, it’s usually needs re-ironing –more time wasted. In all other areas of my life I am passionate about saving time and investing it where it is best used so it’s doubly frustrating for me to have this inability to let go of ‘stuff.

Just what do you do with birthday cards - like photographs I feel guilty if I throw them away - its like throwing a pieceof that person and those good wishes in the bin. I have material that I will never sew, embroidery kits that I will never stitch and wool that I will never knit. Then there are the books and magazines that stacked........

Right!!! Having put this out there – I am going to spend this week attacking one cupboard a day this week. Perhaps a bit of life laundry is in order and I need to let go of a little more than what is sitting in my cupboard. Hmmm – Watch this SPACE!!

1 comment:

  1. It must be genetic. I am a hoarder extraordinaire. Oh to be a minimalist!

    ReplyDelete