Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Full of Hot Air
Up and Up and Up but so gently that you didn't feel the ascent. I thought we may drift towards the Swartberg mountains to look down on farmland and game, but the air currents had a different plan and sent us over Oudtshorne to look over 'lego' land - well that's what it looked like from above - with ants scurrying around it on their way to work. Ironically we drifted towards the prison too and I thought how sad the inmates must feel watching the balloon and the people in it be and feel so free while they were definitely not!
Of course we had a spectacular backdrop of blue mountains to frame our views and were able to witness the sun's first rays peeping above them and rising high into the sky. We enjoyed over an hour of voyeurism - silently observing the wold beneath and then sadly our descent started and we bounced to a halt in the veld next to the airfield.
Our capable ground crew drove along to meet us and with a glass of champagne we toasted our happy landing. Its an experience to remember and on reflection I learned that:
* It's not easy to go with the flow but sometimes you have to.
* You will travel higher and further if you don't carry heavy baggage with you.
* You don't need half the stuff you think that you need
* Journeys are fun when there are others there to share them with you.
* Turbulence and crash landings may be dangerous and exciting but a soft and gentle landing is the best!