Monday, September 5, 2011

I was sent an email last week that was so full of wisdom that I went back to read it over and over and I am still pondering on it . That happens sometimes - the universe directs something to you that you really need to see or hear. I thought that I would share it with you.









It reminded me to be brave and brought back a memory of a time I briefly worked for a company who had a security guard who was absent from work. I was instructed to discipline him and take off the days pay from his salary. He was an quiet man who was not in the habit of staying away. When I spoke to him I found out that his 9 year old daughter had been raped by a neighbour and he had spent the time trying to get help for her and for his distraught wife. I reported this to my boss who told replied impatiently ,"I don't care - he wasn't here and we cant pay him!" When I protested and asked  to make an exception under the circumstances on compassionate grounds, he went on to say that if we pay him then everyone will come and claim their child has been raped! I was astounded and I decided my self that there was no way that my values would allow me to deduct money from this poor guy.
A couple of weeks later I was found out and hauled over the coals for 'going against company policy' and 'insubordination' but I didn't care. The moment I found out that my boss was capable of such inhumanity - I decided to leave, and within three months I had another job.When I handed my resignation in, I took in the Company's pompous mission statement off the wall - it said something like, "we value our employees and  we know our success is because of them." I told the MD he was not qualified to put it back on the wall - that it was dishonest to do so!
I felt very brave that day and knew that I had done the right thing - it felt so good! I spoke the truth and yes my voice wobbled - but I got the words out. That company no longer exists - I wonder why???

No comments:

Post a Comment