Saturday, October 8, 2011

Today has been a milestone day in my life! I went to a new hairdresser. This may seem a little melodramatic to some of you but to me it really is a champagne moment - you see I have been in an abusive relationship with my previous hairdresser for many years - fifteen of them if my memory serves me right! During this time I have had many hair raising moments as she has been through two ...or three husbands - I may have been under the dryer for one of them. She has also had every operation a woman can have and I have been subjected to graphic details of her intestines and have an intimate knowledge of her medical aid plan.
Her bazaar collection of friends have sat next to my at the basin while she gave them drug/HIV/alcohol counselling and once I sat next to a Maltese poodle at the basin - I was too afraid to ask why he was there.
I have also empathised when her domestic stole all her possessions, bought handcrafted 'jewellery' to try and keep her above the poverty line and have a drawer full of hair products that I will never use!
Why? I hear you asking, did you not get out of there soon? Well she's very good with my hair, and those of you who know me well know that I have a problematic relationship with my hair....or lack of it! Her hairdressing skills were beyond reproach but her life was an ongoing saga of bad fortune and instead of walking out from my pamper session feeling uplifted and renewed, I walked out of there with beautiful hair but feeling inwardly like I had been dragged through a hedge backwards!

The salon itself was looking tattier and tattier - the silk flowers dustier, the magazines a decade old and the towels worn and there have been times when I have sat looking at myself waiting for my colour to take, itching to get up and clean the mirror with a vinegar solution to cut through grime! I feel it many have been getting to the point when I would have to inspect the hairbrush for poodle hair before my blow dry!
The decision was made a fortnight ago when I received an SMS to tell me her husband had passed away (very inappropriate I know) and in the moment that I read it I had a fast forward to what future hair appointments would become - grief counselling sessions and heartless as it sounds - I just couldn’t do that! I realised that I have been putting her needs before mine and then paying her for the privilege of rescuing her! What an idiot I am!

So today - I sat in a modern, well equipped salon listening to gentle music and the lively chatter of happy people around me. I was offered coffee - a trendy selection of magazines and some tasty snippets of gossip from my new hairdresser - he's tall, dark, handsome and soooo gay! I felt like a million dollars when I walked out and my hair........FABULOUS!
PS. Yes - I feel a tad guilty - I suppose when you have had the same person messing with your head for fifteen years that's normal.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I have a quick question for you about your site. If you could please get back to me at your earliest convenience I would greatly appreciate it. Have a great day!

    Thanks,
    Dan Gilbert
    Marketing Support Coordinator
    Primrose Schools
    dgilbert@primroseschools.com

    ReplyDelete