Saturday, October 29, 2011

What are those fowers saying?

I asked for some ideas for blog topics and am hoping to get around to writing on all of them - Thank You! I wills start with Sue who asked me too blog on flowers and their meanings. I looked up what the different flowers used to mean and then have done my own modern interpretation.
The language of flowers, sometimes called florigraphy, was a Victorian means of communication in which various flowers and floral arrangements were used to send coded messages, allowing individuals to express feelings which otherwise could not be spoken. This language was most commonly communicated through  Tussie Mussies, an art which still has a following today.
The nuances of the language are now mostly forgotten, but red roses still imply passionate, romantic love and pink roses a lesser affection; white roses suggest virtue and chastity and yellow roses stand for friendship or devotion. the Lily signified beauty and Sunflowers indicated either haughtiness or respect - I think they just represent sunshine!
Daisy means innocence or purity. Iris, being named for the messenger of the gods in represents the sending of a message. Anemone signifies disappearance of hope. Pansies (my favourite) signify thoughtfulness,  daffodils regard, and a strand of ivy fidelity. Quite bizarrely bright orange Marigolds stood for pain or grief (no wonder I don't like them) and Lime blossom for fornication (I didn't know that the Victorians did this).

This got me thinking about today's language of flowers. If you get two bunches of roses...it means they were BOGOF (buy one get one free) on special at Woollies. If you get roses that actually have a fragrance then I got them out of Sean's garden  - he has hundreds of rose bushes. It also means I have a plaster on my finger because they have thorns too! If you get Geberas...it means that the roses were too expensive and at least you can get away with putting 2 or 3 in a vase. If you get chrysanthemums...it means that its late in the month and these were the cheapest bunch I could find. If you get proteas... then I came to you via Mount Pleasant and Dale's had them in front in a bucket and they were really cheap. Ivy, Arums or geraniums mean that I really had no time/money and I got them out of the garden. If you get a bunch of lillies ....it means that you are going to get stains from the pollen on your best tablecloth.

....and this is for Johanne who asked me to blog about the widening waistline that comes with age. If you get flowers (instead of chocolates) it means that your friends think that you are too wide around the middle and don't want you to get any fatter by giving you chocolates. LOL! come to think of it I get a lot of flowers and no chocolate!

I hope this gives some clarity to the modern day meaning of flowers. PS I couldnt find any lime blossom in my garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment