Thursday, July 5, 2012

Eurika!

Well this is the photograph I have been waiting to take. Years ago when I started my blog - it was with a photograph taken at this same spot and it was of my first sunrise over the sea. Its hard to believe that I had lived here for over 20 years and I had never bothered to witness this beauty, which happens every morning a five minute walk from our home. That morning I chatted to a real photographer who was stood on top of the rock. He told me that there is a certain time of year when the sun rises between the gap in the rock and I thought what an awesome photograph that would make.
On Sunday I was whisked away to the Raddison Hotel as part of our Ruby Wedding anniversary celebrations and from the 18th floor I watched the sunrise while enjoying my first cuppa. As the sun peeped over the horizon I thought could it be that time of year? I checked my watch 7.22am and on Tuesday morning I was on the beach at 7.15am waiting with my camera. Eureka! This was my reward!
I was overjoyed to see the sun appear over the sea framed by the rock as it has been doing since the beginning of time. Kneeling on the sand I was almost knocked over by 2 dogs who thought it was play time - their owner came to apologise and when I showed her what I was looking at - she was also astounded by its beauty. "WOW!"
I can understand how in ancient times Pagans and Druids were mesmerised by the spectacle of the sun appearing in a specific place - it appeared to be an amazing illusion that only an almighty spirit could conjure up. Unlike them I was not driven to make a sacrifice - I had after all sacrificed my late lie-in bed on a day off! Everything comes to she who waits. By 7.30 the sun was high in the sky and I was one happy lady. What a great start to the day!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment