Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Numbers Game

Have you ever thought how many numerical sequences that are bouncing around in your head on any given day! Previous generations had it easy - my gran's generation only needed to know their house number, my parents had space for their home and telephone numbers and my mother was considered gifted as she knew her Co-op Divi number (short for dividend) off by heart.
We are expected to know telephone number, cell phone number, bank card pin numbers, alarm code numbers, Internet banking numbers and passwords for this that and everything - thanks to master scammers, phishers and Nigerians these get more and more complex and difficult to navigate. Don't you just hate the ones where they must contain a CAPITAL letter a sym&@# and a number as well! We are warned about writing these down or storing them in our phone and if we choose to encrypt them in any way the added challenge when needing them is to remember what was going on in your head at that particular time. No wonder I cant remember a thing - my head is full of numbers!
I have a new landline and new cell number, added to this I am enduring a technological revolution brought on by our house move necessitating a new washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, microwave and coffee machine to master and a solar geyser that needs a BSc in physics in order to manipulate the temperature of my bathwater.
My brains are scrabbled and my eggs would be if I could get to grips with the new gas hob that sputters to a halt when I try to simmer. I have only managed to get one half of my double oven to cooperate while the other half winks at me from the kitchen mockingly!
When I get it all worked out, my new media player awaits - Hmm... perhaps my four year old grandson can teach me how that works!
Don't get me wrong - I pride myself on my mental arithmatic (Yes! I went to school BC - before calculators - and this was an actual subject) I am pretty irritating in shops and other public places where the Gen Y sales assistant can't add 2+2  or divide by 10 without a calculator.
Oh! and one thing I am exceptionally good at is counting my blessings! I will end on that high note!


No comments:

Post a Comment