Monday, July 22, 2013

I am as rich as Bill Gates......

....when it comes to our most valuable resource - Time! Like air it is free but it is really what we do with it that adds value to it. It's like having 86 400rands placed in bank account each day (R1=1 second) and it disappearing on the stroke of midnight that evening. If that were the case we really would make sure that we invested that money well and we would protect it from others so it couldn't be stolen. As it is with time  - waste it and it is gone forever.
I invested my Sunday catching up with my work backlog to give me a less stressed week and I must say I went to bed tired but strangely energised by the thought of being able to do things that I enjoy in the evenings this week - such as my writing and some reading and relaxation. Strangely one of the chores that I had to complete was marking assignments and one of the topics was Time Management and the delegates need to complete and report on a time analysis. I could weep when I see the way our jobs have become fragmented and the volume of work that the average worker is expected to get through. It severely impacts on their stress levels and then on their personal lives. I try to give them feedback and advice around the aspects that they can control - some of which is how to say no and how to stop people stealing their precious time!
We are generally successful in the areas that we focus our attention and therefore our time and that is why I needed to catch up so I can focus on my other passions and there are many!! I once was privileged to hear Prof. Weihahn speak (he was the lawyer who led the Weihahn Commission which changed the face of labour law in South Africa) read here. You would think that he was a privileged white lawyer but he told a story of a childhood spent in poverty, having to leave school to support his family and no money for education, and yet through grit and sheer determination he succeeded. He accounted his success to what he called the 3rd shift. We have to work 8 hours and then 8 hours to sleep, eat and keep ourselves groomed. He believed its how we used our 3rd shift - the other 8 hours that made the difference to our success and our self fulfilment. If we spend it watching TV or waste it on meaningless activities then its gone forever and it has not contributed to anything. I have never forgotten that talk and as he died not long afterwards, I am so glad he left me that legacy to take with me on my journey!
 So if you could make a wish for more time or more money what would you wish for - I will leave you to ponder that .... I know what my wish is for!

No comments:

Post a Comment