Monday, September 23, 2013

Flower Follies : 2

So our journey continued! At Picketberg Margo became very assertive about her coffee being served last but I felt it was her own fault as she confused us all by putting her hand up for normal tea, rooibos tea coffee, and cappuccino! Ms Double-Barrel and her side kick have struck up a friendship with the two old guys which leaves me well and truly a spare part - unless Alex and I make peace and Hell may freeze over before that happens! He is so strict and punctual and actually informed the group that we were on a tight schedule and that I was 11 minutes late at the coffee stop. He then went on to tell the group in great detail - more than 11 minutes - about the fascinating Wheat Museum at Morresberg - Please tell me that we are not going there Alex!

Lunch at Vanrhynsdorp was a simple affair and the group caused chaos when faced with the choice of 4 dishes - I had to ask what chaos would have occurred had there were 5 choices on the menu and just to throw a spanner in the works I asked if there was there any possibility that they served sushi? Then horror of horror - I realised that I am with a bunch of strangers in Vanrhynsdorp and my phone battery has almost died - I politely ask Alex if he will unlock the combi while I retrieve my phone charger plug from my suitcase. I might have well have asked for the holy grail - and yes my case was at the bottom of the pile! More head shaking and thin lips!
  We head off again and after another interesting loo stop at Knervlakte, I am beginning to wonder if Alex has prostrate problems as we had only been on the road for 45 minutes.From here onwards the terrain is stone, quartz covered ground scattered with compact and leafy succulents - quietly still and beautiful - the air was clear and silent. The name of Knervlakte translates to 'gnashing of teeth'  from the days of travelling by wagon over this terrain but I was gnashing my teeth for a different reason. The afternoon debate among my fellow travelers was which brand of rooibos tea was the best for digestion and the work 'gas' was mentioned several times ....and I don't mean petrol!

We arrived at Kamieskroon with an hour to spare before dinner. Keys and room numbers were allocated Margo swaps keys with Alex because of her leg and Ms double barrel and her friend are stressed. they have to be next door to each other because they share......toothpaste!!!! I am finished and fist stuffed in mouth head off to my room - Number 6 - the Anne Frank suite!
Happy Ending to this day because at 18h30 my mobile rings to inform me that I am a 'nanna' again - I go to dinner knowing the world is a more beautiful place because Katherine Jane is in it!

The evening meal consists of 2 choices - Menu 1 or Menu 2 - the group cause chaos by asking for the starter from one and the main from the other. Hands fly up and down - I suggest a system to ordering and Alex tells me to 'Shut Up.' Ms Double-barrel and I go halvies on a bottle of wine which brings about a collective gasp - everyone else is sharing a glass! I announce my new granddaughter's arrival and there is a little flutter but the conversation reverts to orthopedics and what hasn't been sliced, diced, pinned and reconnected, stapled and fixed at that table is frightening! I try to eat my fish while Menu 2 people suck on their lamb chops then I retire to the veranda with my wine - Its 9pm and the hotel is deserted -  I am truly in the desert!
I can't wait for tomorrow and our first trip into the flower reserves - I run the bath and discover that body lotion is rationed to a teaspoon amount in a little sachet next to the bath. I am doomed to become a prune in Kamieskroon!



No comments:

Post a Comment