Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Ladies - no excuses - Vote because you CAN

I hope that you are voting because if you are an SA Citizen you should care what happens. I vote because I care but my main reason for voting is because females were denied this right for hundreds of years and brave women were ridiculed and persecuted by society in Europe for daring to challenge all male governments and give females a say in the running of the world.

Before 1918 no women were allowed to vote in parliamentary elections in the UK. In the early 20th century there were two main groups active in the campaign for women's suffrage, a term used to describe the right to vote.



These two groups were the 'suffragists' who campaigned using peaceful methods such as lobbying, and the 'suffragettes' who were determined to win the right to vote for women by any means. Their militant campaigning sometimes included unlawful and violent acts which attracted much publicity.
They suffered imprisonment, hunger strikes and force feeding and were shunned by the majority of society male and female. Their motto was 'Deeds not Words' - I wish it was the motto of our South African politicians! Standing in a queue for an hour or so is not such a bad price to pay when I compare it to theirs!
So when I stand in line tomorrow it is as much for these brave women that I stand there - otherwise all that they endured was for nothing. I will be voting as a women for a woman as its not just our country that is in a mess and I believe the earth needs a female, intelligent and nurturing mindset to heal the damage done over the centuries that women were excluded from decision making and governance.
See you there - I shan't be wearing a bonnet LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment