Monday, October 16, 2023

Things to love about Autumn.....

 Hello Autumn - my second favourite season with Spring being my favourite. While many people are lamenting the end of summer, I am happy to move on towards the end of the year.

What I love about autumn:-

Crisp mornings - I like to wake up in a warn bed and feel a crispness in the air - it makes those stolen moments under the covers more special.

Leaves - I love the progression of colour as it changes from green, yellow, brown, red and then the slightest breeze will create a flurry of leaves whipping around on their journey to the ground. Even better if there is water to reflect all of this and double the spectacle

Trees - I like to see the structure of the trees as they are laid bare. Their branches almost mirroring their roots. Conkers, sycamore wings and other Autumn fruits appear ensuring there will be a spring in the new year.

My wardrobe - I love to wear Autumn colours - they echo the colour of nature and dark greens, tan, ochre, reds and neutral bring warmth into my life. Although I really dislike wearing tights - I love wearing my jeans and jeggings .....and  boots - I must have twenty pairs! Jackets and coats come out to play like old friends and sometimes there is money or a memory in the pockets - both valuable!

Warm baths - the bliss of soaking in a candlelit bath and then straight into bed all warm to read before sleep. I have always enjoyed bathing and after decades of living on a dry continent, often with water restrictions, I so appreciate a long deep, steamy, scented bath. Candle light makes it even more of a treat!

Soup - I could live on soup in winter - today I had leek and ham but any vegetables and homemade is the best with a slice of proper granary bread. Its all you need! 

Walking - Although its great to be outside in summer - I think of summer as a stroll whereas autumn is for walking - a dry day at this time of year is great for proper walking, power walking, walking to keep warm and if there are any crunchy leaves about then even better!

Making Plans - The countdown to the end of the year and planning. Halloween, family birthdays (there are a lot), Christmas shopping lists, holiday plans for the following year and as we generally leave for warmer shores in winter there is all that planning too. I think it was a quote from the 'A-Team' that said, 'I love it when a plan comes together' and I love it too when all our arrangements run like clockwork while we are travelling.

Television gets interesting again. We don't watch a lot of TV which is just as well as there is nothing on during the summer months but come September and its great to settle down to a good series and often start some knitting.

I don't like the shorter days when its dark by five pm but there is a lot to look forward to in Autumn.

'Autumn teaches us the beauty of letting go. Growth requires release— its what trees do!'


1 comment:

  1. Autumn is my favourite season too, I love cosy evenings with the fire lit ( even if it’s a gas one pretending to me the real thing ) candles lit including autumnal scented ones and wrapped in a throw. I love the sound of the wind and rain hitting the window panes. I can live on soup every day and cakes packed with dried fruit, ginger or apples. I love digging out my jumpers and packing away tee shirts. I’m happiest covering flesh than exposing it. What’s missing is the smell of woodsmoke from log fires. Oh, to live in the country. And how sad that bonfires at the bottom of the garden are largely a thing from the past. I also love seeing spiders in the house. Maybe not everyone will agree on that one!

    ReplyDelete